It’s been roughly over 2 months since I landed in the wonderful and beautiful country of Australia and not in my wildest dreams did I imagine that this would happen.
Before the start of season 8 of My Kitchen Rules, some of my family members mentioned the show to me and I was intrigued to see what it was about. On top of that, weeks before the show was to start, I kept seeing the ad previews. So of course I had to watch the season debut on Jan 30th. My first impression of the show was so-so. I missed the next few episodes but I must say that Channel 7 sure know how to sensationalise the ad previews to make sure you watch the next episode. The pair who got me back onto the show was siblings Tyson & Amy (#AngryAngryMan). I kept watching thinking their episode would be next but it never was. I had to watch through 2 episodes till theirs actually aired. Good job Channel 7… Because I was hooked by then.
MKR is sort of the Australian version of BBC’s Come Dine With Me but different in many ways. I used to watch the British, French and South African version of Come Dine With Me when I used to live in Mauritius.
The main differences are that:
- The contestants compete in pairs so they could be siblings, couple, bffs, etc… and come from different states.
- There are 2 judges (Pete & Manu) that attend all the dinners and score alongside the other contestants.
- The contestants have to set up a themed restaurant called “instant restaurant”.
- Each of the 6 pairs score the overall meal over 10 and each of the 2 judges score each course over 10 resulting in a total of marks being over 110.
- It’s a series-long competition and the weakest pair get knocked out through an elimination round (so I guess it’s a bit like Masterchef as well).
- So far we’re on batch number 2. I don’t know how many more there will be, if any.
- You can tweet while watching the live show using the hashtag #MKR and if they like your tweet it appears on the show!!!!! (They choose the nicer ones lolol)
Thanks to seeing my brother tweet while watching Albert and Dave’s episode and I started doing it too not thinking anything of it. Just to join in on the conversation on twitter. But suddenly, completely out of the blue, I saw my tweet appear and I started pointing and shouting at the tv screen. It happened so fast I didn’t think to snap a shot at that moment. I didn’t know how I was gonna get my hands on a shot of my tweet but I just had to. It was a moment to document and maybe I could add it on my resume? (haha)
I kinda lost hope and forgot about it afterwards but later that week I was at my cousin’s and they had taped the show!!!!!!!! So I was able to get my screen shot. My face on national TV (even though you can’t really tell it’s me) but there’s my twitter handle!!!! 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 😉
Funny story, I didn’t even see this one appear (I was probably looking at my phone duh). But my uncle sent it to me hehe. It didn’t only happen once, but twice!! Give me a job Channel 7. I can live tweet for you (not joking).
This is probably not a big deal to some people but it is to me. One of the most exciting 5 seconds of my life. Coming from such a tiny island, who would’ve thought that after just 2 months of being in Australia, I’d (sorta) appear twice on tv?!?!?!
Okay, I’m definitely adding this to my resume…
Thanks for reading and hope you enjoyed this post!